Wednesday, April 21, 2010

2010 National Poetry Slam Recap

On Monday, April 19th Chereka McCants and Adonis Mejia, both 12 of Boston, joined 28 other America SCORES student-athletes from across the country to perform in the America SCORES National Poetry Slam. The annual event, now in its 4th year, was held at the New York Stock Exchange with the students performing original poems in front of each other and the event crowd. Chereka, a 5th grade student at Marshall Elementary in Dorchester, performed her poem entitled, Peace, while Adonis, also a 5th grader at Grew Elementary in Hyde Park, presented Baseball.

Among those in attendance on Monday evening were US Soccer & Kraft Soccer President, Sunil Gulati, who was a 2010 honoree, and members of the local pro teams, NY Red Bulls (MLS) and NJ Sky Blue (WPS). Gulati also spent most of Monday with the poet-athletes, engaging with them in an education seminar prior to the group's attendance at the NYSE closing bell.

Aside from Monday's main event, Chereka and Adonis joined their peers for a weekend filled with poetry workshops, museum visits and sightseeing throughout NYC.

"For a lot of the students, this was their first time on a plane, first time in NYC, and the first time away from their parents. This weekend symbolized the end of a most memorable journey and the beginning of a whole new world for each poet. I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy the spring blossom than being a part of this event."

Dwayne Simmons, America SCORES New England
Education Director and 2010 Poetry Slam Master of Ceremonies


PEACE, by Chereka McCants

My name? It’s Chereka McCants.
Keep in mind, it doesn’t mean I can’t.

Well, I guess you can say,
I can’t dream without peace.
I can’t grow without peace.
I can’t live without peace.

My peace is something real.
My peace is how I feel.
My peace you don’t conceal.

My peace is the world, my friends and my family.
My peace is making a difference in my community.

My peace is me, Chereka McCants.
And keep in mind, it doesn’t mean I can’t.
I can and I will make peace. Not can’t.
I can and I will make peace.

BASEBALL, by Adonis Mejia

A Rod
Baseball all-star
Catching fly balls and grounders
Hitting homeruns and doubles

Derek Jeter
Enjoying the love of the game
Fighting to be the best
Got high fives for hitting the biggest hit of his career

Go hard or Go home
Hit the best or hit the worst
Interested in the fans
Hoping to be the best

Jump into first place
Kings of the American league and National league
Learned that they can make it all the way
Hope I make it to the MLB someday

Manny Ramirez is an inspiration for some of the things I do today
Nothing can stop me from reaching the top
Opportunities are everywhere
Taking my chances

Practice makes perfect
Quick on the baseball field
Ready to be what I’m destined to be
Exploring new places

Some way somehow I will thrive
Talking to people that can help me
Use the skill and talent I have to succeed
I’m going to make it you just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment