Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mentor Appreciation Event Wraps Up A Successful First Year

"I feel like I made a difference. There was one day after school when I was practicing soccer with the team and my mentee gave me a picture he made of a very sloppy rabbit saying “don’t mess with me,” which was an allusion to when I told him he needed to have a “game face” as a goalie in soccer. It’s still hanging on my wall.”

The SCORES Mentor Appreciation was a great way to wrap up a very successful first year of the SCORES Mentorship Program. The event recognized the 17 mentors who have collectively put in over 325 hours of service between February and April. The SCORES Mentors took an hour out of their last day before finals to gather together, eat, and reflect on their experiences within the program. When asked what was most satisfying about the SCORES Mentorship Program, the Northeastern Mentors said such things as: “Making a difference in my mentee’s day,” “When they smile, it makes you feel like you are having a positive impact,” “being able to provide a friendly face and support system for my mentee each week,” and “watching the girls play soccer.” They provided great feedback and have helped tremendously in planning the way the Mentorship Program will look in the future. As Northeastern’s semester comes to an end, the Mentors should feel very accomplished at all of the amazing work that they have done for SCORES. They were an enthusiastic and dedicated group that will be hard to top. Big Thanks to the volunteer mentors for making the Mentorship Program such a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment