Monday, March 22, 2010

Local Poet-Athletes to Represent America SCORES NE in National Poetry Slam

America SCORES New England is proud to be represented by two of our student-athletes at this spring’s annual National Poetry Slam on April 19th in New York City. As with each year’s event, a boy and girl from each SCORES elementary school program across the country will come together to perform their work at the New York Stock Exchange during a evening gala.

Each student will head to Manhattan two days in advance of the performance to attend workshops with famed artists, visit some of NYC’s historic sites and get to know other SCORES youth from around the country.

Read on and get to know more about Adonis and Chereka as they explain, in their own words, who inspires them, why they enjoy poetry and what they are looking forward to the most about traveling to NYC next month.


Adonis M.
5th Grade, Grew Elementary
Hyde Park – Boston, MA


No one could compare to my family! We are the best because we all love & respect each other and everyone in my family inspires me. One of my favorite memories is when my family and I went to six flags together. My hobbies are playing baseball, basketball, and I like to hang out with my friends and family. I also like listening to music. They tell me that if I want to live my dream (playing in MLB), I have to study and get good grades. While in NY, I hope to see where the Yankees play and try to meet a player. I like to rhyme and I like to mix things up. I think of poetry like music.



Chereka M.
5th Grade, Marshall Elementary
Dorchester – Boston, MA


My family is unique because we all work together if there a problem and my mom inspires me because she is really smart and she is saving money so that I can go to a good college. My hobbies are soccer, dancing, lacrosse, singing and gymnastics. My favorite memory was when I made my first soccer goal. I help other people by seeing what I can do when problems arise. I hope to tour around New York while I am there. I love poetry because you can write anything that is on your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment